We are honored to have been selected to receive the Excellence in Preservation Award from Montgomery Preservation Inc. in Maryland for preservation, rehabilitation, and adaptive reuse of our historic building!
Previously dubbed the “Blair Mansion Inn,” the building has been a landmark fixture on the sliver of land between Blair Road and Eastern Avenue for generations. The mansion was built as a wedding gift for Abigail Shoemaker and her husband Charles Rider Newman in 1890, and over the century, it functioned as a tea house, a guest house, and one of DC’s premier restaurants.
After extensive renovation and restoration, the mansion has a new life as the pillar of support for the string community. We are proud of the work we have done to preserve this historic structure and feel privileged to occupy it.